Golden Jubilee Celebration of Poondi Madha Shrine January 3rd 1945- 1995 – Jan’1995.
The parish priests Fr. Soosai and the Assistant Fr. A. James Joseph Raj along with the local Salesian Sisters and the parishioners planned a year long preparation and celebration. Various committees like invitation, reception, liturgy, food, cultural Programme and souvenir etc were formed to plan and executed the celebration. 3rd Jan marks the day of the beginning of 50 years since this shrine was erected into a parish. The golden jubilee inaugural function was presided over by Bishop Peter Remigius, the chief guest was Mr. E. Venkatachalam – Dt Collector of Thanjavur. The function was marked by the distribution of clothes to more than 200 people.
Highlights of Golden Jubilee
1. There were prayer services conducted in May, October and December. After the December prayer service Christmas gifts were distributed to the participants.
2. The Altar of Poondi Madha was splenderously renovated and blessed
3. The bus stand was shifted to the coconut grove.
4. A community hall to mark the occasion was built.
5. 40 marriages were blessed by Bishop Peter Remigius and he offered ‘Thali’, Garlands and wedding clothes. This function ended with a sumptuous meal for about 4000 people.
6. There was a prayer service in front of the Blessed Sacrament for few hours The second day of the celebration was the day of the Laity. Mass was presided by Bishop K. Lawrence
7. There was a Sound and Light Programme ‘ Poondiyin Pudhumai ootru’.
8. The final day 22nd Jan 1995 was crowned by the presence of the Cardinal from Rome, His Eminence D. Simon Lourdusamy. During the Holy mass Bishop Peter Remigius declared the Shrine as a Permanent Pilgrimage Centre”. It was a milestone in the History of the Shrine.
9. The Jubilee souvenir was released by the Cardinal and received by Arch Bishop Michael Augustine.
10. Arch Bishop Marianus Arokiaswamy released the first copy of Audio Cassettes and were received by Bishop Peter Remigius.
11. Cultural programme was enjoyed by more than 5000 people, bishops and the Cardinal.